Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Quick Whole Wheat Garlic Herb Bread

Here's a really quick savory bread you can make for dinner anytime. Only takes an hour at the most.

Whole Wheat Garlic Herb Bread

3 cups flour (your choice combination of hard white wheat and unbleached all purpose)
3 Tbs sugar or whatever sweetener you choose
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bottle (12 ounces) beer (i used a pale ale)
4 Tbs butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Gently stir the beer into the dry mixer just until moistened.
3. Pour half of the melted butter into the loaf pan. Make sure it evenly coats the bottom.
4. Put your batter in the pan. pour the other half of the butter on top and use a pastry brush to evenly coat the top.
5. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

NOTE- I'm not a huge herb fan so I put about half a teaspoon of each herb. It's still delicious.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Paula. I'll definitely try this one as I frequently remember too late that I should make bread for dinner :-) One hour sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I made this again last night and changed a few things. I didn't put in any herbs and I didn't have fresh garlic so I used a tsp of granulated garlic. I think I like it better without the herbs.
      Bread doesn't make it to our dinner table often because it's usually too late if I don't start it by 3. I do have another method of quick dinner rolls with a yeast bread but I haven't perfected it yet. I'll let you know when it's good. :)

      Delete
  2. We enjoyed this, Paula :) Thank you. I didn't have fresh garlic on hand either, so I substituted with 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Bless you ! Christal

    ReplyDelete