Monday, July 1, 2013

Mexican Monday Goodness

I recently started cooking Mexican two nights a week instead of one. I personally love Mexican and would eat the same thing all the time; but I am searching for ways to make it even more appealing for my husband. I have two recipes to share with you - My easy Spanish rice and Black Bean Salsa.

I really like rice. I mean I'm one of those strange people who will enjoy eating a bowl of totally plain rice. Therefore I am a bit picky about the texture of my rice. I will not eat mushy rice (which it seems most spanish rice turns out mushy.) Here is my quick and simple version.

Easy Spanish Rice
1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
half of a small onion diced
3 cups chicken stock (I use the the "better than bouillon chicken base" from Costco)
2 Tbls tomato paste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1. Toast rice and diced onion with oil in a saute pan with a lid.

2. Mix tomato paste with your chicken stock and carefully add to the pan.

3. Bring to a boil

4. Cover and simmer for approximately 45 minutes.



Here is another recipe I found today and made it as a quick appetizer. According to the source it can be served as a meal.

Black Bean Salsa

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can corn (get the can that lists only corn and water in the ingredients)
1 small onion chopped fine
Limes
Blue Corn Chips

In a large bowl mix all ingredients.
Squeeze lime juice all over.
Season with salt and pepper and whatever else your creative juices want to add.

Even squirt some fresh salsa on it.

Enjoy with Blue Corn chips.



2 comments:

  1. Oh Good, another Spanish rice recipe for Rose to make. She's been trying out different people's recipes each week on our family's "Mexican night."
    (Doesn't everyone have a Mexican dinner night?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Mexican dinners are essential in maintaining a balanced food budget. :)
      bless you Leah

      Delete